Equal Opportunities and Diversity Commitee
Composition and Terms of Reference
The Equal Opportunities and Diversity Committee, a joint committee of Council and Senate, is chaired by a Pro Vice-Chancellor. It has a strategic focus on all equal opportunities issues including the promotion of equal opportunities, policy formulation and monitoring, advising on legal developments and the promotion / dissemination of best practice. The Equal Opportunities and Diversity Committee meets three times a year.
The terms of reference for the Committee are as follows:
- To promote equal opportunities and diversity in all areas of the institution's activities.
- To formulate the institution's equal opportunities policies and attendant action plans, including its single Equality Scheme and Action Plan.
- To oversee the implementation and development of such policies and action plans, and to monitor their operation.
- To produce an Annual Report on the Equality Scheme for Council.
- To advise Senate and Council on developments in law and practice relating to equal opportunities.
- To promote the dissemination of good practice.
- To receive reports on relevant issues from: the Human Resources Department; Staffing Committee; Admissions and Recruitment Committee; Student Support Committee.
Its membership consists of:
- One of the Pro Vice-Chancellors (in the Chair)
- One member nominated by Senate from its own membership
- One member nominated by Staffing Committee from its own membership
- Two members nominated by Council from its own membership
- One student member nominated by the Guild of Students
- One member nominated by the JUCC
- Registrar and Secretary
- Director of Human Resources
- Director of Student Support
- Equality Advisor(or substitute nominated by the Registrar and Secretary)