All University Halls of Residence have internet access via a wired Ethernet network socket in every study bedroom as the primary internet connection.
Our wireless network (eduroam) is also available as a secondary connection in many locations: in University administrative and teaching buildings; Cwrt Mawr, Rosser, Trefloyne, Pentre Jane Morgan, Plynlimon, Caerleon, Carpenter, Ty Gwerin, Ceredigion, Glyndwr Halls of Residence; the Student Union building and the Arts Centre.
Access to the Student Network is available to registered users at Aberystwyth University.
Your use of the network
Network Access is provided in support of the academic aims of the University. While a limited amount of non-academic use is permitted as a privilege to our users, this has to comply with:
- JANET Acceptable Use Policy
- Information Services Regulations
- Information Services Guidelines on the use of the Aberystwyth University Network
You should familiarise yourself with what these contain.
The Student Network has its own firewall, which works on a default deny basis. However students are able to open ports in the firewall if required to enable programs or applications to run. Details on how this firewall works and how to open ports can be found in our FAQ pages.
Connecting your computer to the network
To connect your computer to the network you will need:
- to have an Aberystwyth University email account
- a computer with a network card
- a computer running Windows XP, Vista or 7, Apple Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or above, Linux with 802.1x supplicant
- an RJ45 network cable (for wired connections) - these are available to buy on campus
To set up your wired connection click here
To set up your wireless connection click here