Aber Card & Email
Welcome to Information Services
Information Services (IS) is responsible for the provision of library, computing and media services for Aberystwyth University. To make use of our facilities you will need an email account and an Aber Card. You will be emailed with instructions for activating your email account and applying for your Aber Card prior to the start of your course.
You will be able to activate your University email account online shortly before your course begins. Your email account gives you access to:
- University email
- Computers in libraries and computer rooms all over campus
- The University computer network, both wired and wireless
- Electronic information sources e.g. ebooks, ejournals
- Blackboard, the University virtual learning environment
- Networked filestore to backup your work
- Your library account to check your loans information
Setting up your Computer for use on the University Network
Once you have activated your email account you will be able to set up your computer ready to connect to our network when you arrive.
You can apply for your Aber Card once you have activated your email account. If you do this at least three weeks before your course begins it should be ready for you to collect from the Hugh Owen Library when you arrive. Your Aber Card gives you access to:
- Library borrowing including self-issue machines
- 24-hour computer rooms
- Printing and photocopying
It also acts as your Aberystwyth Student Union and Sports Centre card and can be used to buy food in University hospitality outlets.
I.S. Activities for New Students
During the first week of term we provide a range of activities to welcome you and introduce our services so you can make the best use of them during your time here. These include:
- Help with activating your email account and setting up hall connections
- Collection of Aber Cards
- Introductory talks and library tours