Withdrawal From University
If you are considering withdrawing from University please read these notes carefully. You are strongly advised to discuss the matter with your department(s) and with a Student Adviser at the Student Welcome Centre for guidance and to explore the options available to you. If you then decide to withdraw, for whatever reason, you must complete a Withdrawal Form. Completed forms fully signed with the necessary signatures must be forwarded to Academic Office for processing.
The University recognises two types of withdrawal: permanent or temporary. You may be undecided at this stage as to which category you fall into. Students withdrawing from University are required to obtain a Withdrawal Form from Student Support Services, email@example.com or telephone 01970 621761.
If you wish to withdraw permanently you should note that as a consequence you cancel your registration in the University and lose all rights and privileges accorded by this membership.
- If you wish to withdraw temporarily you should note your request will be subject to approval of the relevant Faculty and Senate and will normally be dependent on support from the Head(s) of your department(s). You must therefore consult the Assistant Director of Student Support the Head(s) of your honours department(s) and the Dean to obtain their countersignature before leaving University. In this category your registration in the University will be suspended until your return and you will not be entitled to use University facilities, attend classes or reside in Hall of Residence during this period.
- Undergraduates will normally be given credits for semesters satisfactorily completed. You should note that there is a time limit for the completion of an Honours degree (normally five years from initial registration, for three year degree schemes, six years for four year schemes).
- Your return to University after a temporary withdrawal will be subject to written confirmation that you have adequate financial resources to complete the course.
- If you are withdrawing on medical grounds you must submit medical evidence with your Withdrawal Form. Your eventual return to University will be subject to a clearence medical certificate for approval by the University Medical Officer. In certain cases the University Medical Officer may require a medical examination.
- Approval will not be given, except in very exceptional cases, to applications for temporary withdrawal after the end of teaching in each semester. If you have not withdrawn by that date you will be entered as a candidate for the semester examinations and the normal rules governing progress will apply.
Withdrawal Forms are available from Student Support, Top Floor, Student Welcome Centre, Penglais Campus, firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01970 621761.
ALL STUDENTS WITHDRAWING FROM UNIVERSITY FOR WHATEVER REASON SHOULD INFORM THEIR FINANCIAL SPONSORS IMMEDIATELY e.g. LEA and Student Loan Company (if relevant).