Data Processing Declaration
1. Aberystwyth University is a data controller under the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA).
2. The University’s nominated representative is the:
Pro Vice-Chancellor (Student and Staff Services)
3. The University needs to process personal information about students so that it can:
(i) Monitor performance
(ii) Organise courses
(iii) Provide services (e.g. accommodation, student support)
(iv) Provide information for authorised agencies
(v) Investigate, and act on, disciplinary matters.
(vi) Update your personal learning record
4. Some of the information processed may be defined as sensitive under the DPA, i.e.
(i) racial or ethnic origin
(ii) political opinions
(iii) religious beliefs or other beliefs of a similar nature,
(iv) membership of a trade union
(v) physical or mental health or condition
(vi) sexual life
(vii) the commission or alleged commission of any offence
(viii) any proceedings for any offence committed or alleged to have been committed, the disposal of such proceedings or the sentence of any court in such proceedings.
5. Some information will be retained after your period of registration as a student and may be used to provide transcripts of degree results and educational references and also for alumni relations and fundraising purposes.
6. The University shares some personal data with Aberystwyth University Students’ Union for the administration of its business and the running of its clubs and societies.
7. The University may, in some circumstances, disclose information about students to authorised third parties (e.g. central and local government departments such as the Higher Education Statistics Agency, the Department for Education, the Welsh Government, the UK Border Agency, Ceredigion County Council; the courts, police forces, professional bodies, current and potential employers, agencies contracted to undertake official student surveys, other educational institutions and external accreditation bodies).
Please note that details relating to the processing of your personal data by the Higher Education Statistics Agency can be found here: http://www.hesa.ac.uk/collection-notices
8. On occasion, the University may also employ external agencies as data processors in order to provide services, such as e-mail, to staff and students. The University remains the controller of any such data.
9. The conditions under which such information may be disclosed are described in the University entry in the Register of Data Controllers (see http://www.ico.gov.uk/)
10. As a condition of registration all students are required to consent to the processing of personal information about themselves (including information defined as sensitive). Your registration as a student may have to be terminated if you do not agree to the processing of your personal data in this way.
If you have any further queries please contact email@example.com