Why Study Law or Criminology?
The Law exists to ensure justice: between citizen and citizen, between citizen and corporation, between corporation and corporation, and between citizen and corporation and the state. To study Law is thus to study a subject which is fundamental to the wellbeing of society. There has been a Law Department at Aberystwyth since 1901, which, since 2006, has also specialised in the related disciplne of Criminology.In that period, many outstanding legal academics and criminologists have taught in the Department: and our graduates have made their mark in a range of subsequent careers.
Why study in the Department of Law and Criminology at Aberystwyth?
- The Department of Law and Criminology is long established and has an excellent reputation.
- The Department has a range of single honours schemes catering for a variety of interests across the law and criminology spectrum.
- You will have opportunities to specialise in particular areas of study as well as gaining expertise in the core skills of your chosen subject.
- There are opportunities for study abroad at one of our partner institutions in Utrecht (Netherlands) Katowice and Wroclaw (Poland), Brno (Czech Republic) and Helsinki (Finland) all of which offer courses in English.
- Aberystwyth has been consistently at the top of the student satisfaction ratings.
- You will be taught by staff who, as well as being active in research and publication, also participate in national and international debate and policy-making in legal, criminological and related fields.
- You will have the advantage of being taught in small groups and benefit from a supportive personal tutor system.
- For Welsh speakers there is the opportunity to have teaching and pastoral support through the medium of Welsh.
- Aberystwyth is in a beautiful location and provides a stimulating and challenging environment within which to acquire, not only a sound understanding of your discipline, but also the critical and analytical abilities essential to an understanding of how they impact on and interact with society.
Why not have a look at the Law and Criminology Degrees that we can offer you?
“Because of my disability I needed somewhere compact, which was easy to get to and Aberystwyth was one of the best.
The people are really friendly here, it’s quite quiet and is crime free. It has got the best social life I’ve enjoyed for a long time!
Both departments are really good - Law and International Politics. Staff are extremely helpful.
The Library, for a disabled person, initially wasn’t very accessible but now it has improved dramatically. The facilities are just amazing, much better than they were in my first year.
Aberystwyth is one of those special towns - there’s something that draws you to it. The social life is incredible, there are so many bars, pubs, and clubs, it’s just endless. It has a beautiful landscape, it’s a student town, people are very friendly, it’s just an adorable place to study, and it’s crime free so you’re safe night and day.”